On July 6, we came together as a ski community to celebrate the truly marvellous life of Dave Battison. The memorial was heart-warming and many people paid tribute to beloved Coach Dave. We are grateful to those extended ski family members who traveled here from Quebec, Ontario, Alberta, and other parts of BC–many of whom were part of Dave’s ski family in the clubs and on teams that enjoyed his humour, joie de vivre, and expertise before he came to the Strathcona Nordics. We are all grateful to have known Dave Battison. Thank you to everyone who assisted with the memorial.
Junior Racers and Devos honour Coach Dave before their roller ski work out. Photo: L. Swift
The club would like to express its gratitude to Andrea Stapff who has stepped into the role of acting head coach at this difficult time and provided seamless continuity to the summer training program. Andrea will be responsible for implementing the summer program and continue to build on the program and goals that Dave had carefully laid out for the racing teams and other club programs through the summer, fall, and coming winter season. This will be a team effort, drawing on all members of the club coaching and support team that Dave has built up. Members of this team will be meeting in the near future to work together with Andrea to develop a solid continuity plan for the fall and winter.
The club is committed to continuing with the full-time head coach position in the 2014-2015 season and are currently initiating a process to assist us with filling that position by early September.
Additionally, thank you to Marilyn Atkinson for stepping in to lead the Masters summer dryland training sessions.
All club members are welcome to join in the run/hike next Sunday, July 20 on Mount Washington.
▪ Meet in the Raven Lodge parking lot, ready to go at 10am.
▪ Join the walking group or the running group.
▪ Be ready for 2-3 hours on the trails.
▪ Remember to dress for the weather, remember your sunscreen, and bring your own hydration and snack.
Hope to see you there!
Check the website next week for a list of locations for Sunday run/hikes.
Congratulations to Avalon Wasteneys on finishing second in Canada at Nationals in the Junior Girls category and on being named to the National Talent Squad! Avalon was selected by Cross Country Canada as a top junior for the National Talent Squad program for 16- and 17-year-olds and offered extra training at National Development Centres to help prepare her for elite racing. Way to go!
Congratulations and best wishes to Alec Stapff who has joined the Winsport Training Academy in Canmore, BC as he prepares to train and compete in 2015 at the elite Junior Mens level. Alec, who will continue to call the Strathcona Nordics his home club, leaves the Junior Racing Team to join the new team in Canmore.
At eighteen, Alec has been racing and training on Mount Washington for more than 6 years. Moving to the training academy, where he’ll also be pursuing post-secondary studies, means Alec has additional costs in his pursuit of excellence at the elite level.
Alec has prepared a sponsorship package, which offers benefits to local businesses and individuals. For more details, contact Alec at email@example.com. We will miss you Alec!
Avalon, Coach Dave, and Alec at a training session in early June. Photo: A. Stapff
Donations in Dave’s memory be directed towards supporting young athletes achieve their goals and/or coach mentoring and development, two things Dave was passionate about.
There are two options to direct donations:
▪ The Strathcona Nordics Dave Battison Memorial Fund. This fund will be used to provide annual cross-country skiing bursaries to promising young skiers within the club. It will be funded through direct donations as well as club fundraising activities. The club is currently setting up a charitable project so that eligible donations into the fund could receive a tax receipt. In the meantime, any donations or pledges (until the charitable project is ready) can be delivered at the memorial or sent by mail to Strathcona Nordics Ski Club, Box 3085, Courtenay, BC V9N 5N3. Please mark any donations in memorium to Dave Battison and indicate if you would like a tax receipt. For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org
▪ The Sofie Manarin Memorial Fund which recognises the top juvenile male and female athletes each year at Ski Nationals. Sofie was one of Dave’s most promising athletes who was tragically killed in an accident while training in 2001. Donations to Sofie’s fund in Dave’s memory can be made through the Sudbury Community Foundation, 96 Larch Street, Suite 300, Sudbury, Ontario, P3E 1C1, [(705) 673-7770] or electronically via https://www.canadahelps.org/dn/2506 Donations to the Sofie Manarin Memorial Fund are eligible for a tax receipt.
Does your garden need a boost or some mulch to help prevent it from drying out? We still have bags of SkyRocket for you! Contact Chris to arrange pick up email@example.com
The club would like to thank SharKare for their whole-hearted support behind our SkyRocket fundraiser. SharKare made available their space and allowed us to bag, store, and sell the material over the period of a month. The logistics involved became much more simple as result of this location being available. We would like to thank Ken Wright, and his staff, for their support advice and guidance in helping this project become successful!
The Vancouver Island Biathlon Club invite you to join them for a Mountain Bike Biathlon Race.
▪ July 26, 2014
▪ Mt Washington Nordic Site
▪ $15/Biathlon BC members
▪ $20/non-members (covers insurance, ammunition, and use of rifle)
▪ Bring your own mountain bike
Register now to save with the early bird price, $5 off before July 17, 2014. The deadline for entry is 12 noon, July 23, 2014. Register on zone4.ca and visit their website for more info.
If you missed the email regarding Canada’s new anti-spam law, and/or you want to receive the monthly newsletter — email info@StrathconaNordics.com and write “subscribe” in the subject line. You can always unsubscribe by using the link at the bottom of the newsletter.